do I need a student visa?
When you confirm an offer of a place on a course at Istituto Marangoni International Study Centre, the next step for most students is to apply for a visa. In order to study in the UK at the International Study Centre, you will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
You can also take the UK visas questionnaire to check if you need a visa.
will I be eligible for a student visa?
Student visa applications work via a points-based system; if you score 40 points you will be granted a visa. The application process is as follows:
- Apply for your chosen course at Istituto Marangoni International Study Centre.
- Receive an offer of a place.
- Send the requested documents to the International Study Centre (including mdeical certificates, IELTs, financial statements, and academic grades if you have already received them.
- Pay a deposit and CAS payment to the International Study Centre.
- Receive a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). This is worth 30 points.
- Apply for your visa, attaching financial statements which prove that you have the funds to cover the course and your living costs. This will get you a further 10 points.
- You may also be required to attend a credibility interview.
- You will be contacted to let you know if your visa application has been approved or denied,
when should I apply for a visa?
You may apply for a visa up to three months before the start date of your course at the International Study Centre. How long it will take depends on which country you are applying from. Make sure there is enough time for your application to be processed, by applying early.
how long can I stay in the UK on a student visa?
If you have a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you can arrive in the UK up to one month before your course starts. You are allowed to stay in the UK for an extra four months after your course ends.
visa credibility interviews
what is a credibility interview?
A credibility interview is carried out by an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) to establish that you are a genuine student, and are not planning to use a student visa for holiday or work. The interview is nothing to worry about; you just need to show that you have researched your options and are coming to the UK for the right reasons.
where will my credibility interview take place?
You will be interviewed at the visa application centre in your country when you submit your visa application documents. This interview is carried out via a secure video link and you will be interviewed by a UKVI member of staff in the UK.
how should I prepare for my credibility interview?
Make sure you have researched the International Study Centre and the course you have chosen. Avoid yes and no answers; try and go into more detail. The Entry Clearance Officer may be suspicious if they think you are repeating rehearsed answers.
what questions will I be asked in a credibility interview?
Below are some questions you may be asked during your credibility interview:
- Why do you want to study at Istituto Marangoni International Study Centre?
- What interests you about the course you have chosen?
- How will you meet the costs of living and studying in the UK?
what if my student visa is refused?
If your visa application is refused by the UKVI, you have 28 days to submit an Administrative Review and challenge the decision made by the ECO. You will need to respond in writing to each of the points raised in the refusal.